Finnair Compensation Policy for Delays and Cancellation
Finnair, Finland’s official flag carrier and largest full-service airline, connects Europe and Asia through direct flights and flights from its partner airlines in Oneworld Alliance. Being an airline from an EU country, Finnair complies with strict EU regulations regarding flight delays, cancellations and subsequent compensation provided to passengers. It has a robust delayed and cancelled flight policy that protects passengers’ interests and cares for their convenience at any cost. Considering that transporting its passengers to their destinations safely and on time is Finnair’s top priority, the airline leaves no stone unturned in ensuring that passengers don’t have to suffer in the unfortunate event of a flight delay or cancellation. This blog extensively discusses Finnair’s Delayed and Cancelled Flights Policy and Finnair Compensations for Flight Delays or Cancellation Policy. So, find all related information below and learn what to do if your Finnair flight is delayed or cancelled.
What is Finnair Flight Delay or Cancellation Compensation Policy?
Being a professional and legacy carrier, Finnair always does its best to ensure its passengers reach their destinations on time. However, some situations are beyond Finnair’s control. A technical or mechanical problem, incumbent weather or sometimes staff shortage can throw the flight schedules out of gear. That is why Finnair has a delayed and cancelled flight policy to address this issue and ensure its passengers have the best travel experience despite a flight disruption. Additionally, being from an EU member state, Finnair respects the EU regulations and allows its passengers to claim compensation in the unfortunate event of flight delay or cancellation. Per the policy, a flight is considered delayed or cancelled under the following conditions.
● Your flight is suddenly cancelled within 14 days of scheduled departure.
● Your flight is delayed more than 5 hours before release or during the journey.
It is to be noted that for the Finnair flight delay or cancellation compensation policy rules to be applicable, the fault must be from Finnair’s side. Finnair is not liable to pay any compensation if the flight is delayed or cancelled due to extreme weather or political unrest. Additionally, as per the policy, passengers can claim a full refund of their ticket price and compensation.
What to Do When Your Finnair Flight is Delayed or Cancelled?
● You can wait for Finnair to arrange an alternative flight on the same day. This might take some time, as alternative flights on the same day and the same route might be challenging. If you allow Finnair to arrange an alternative flight and a breakout is readily available on the same day, you will find your new flight details duly updated on the “Manage Booking” section of your travel account or Finnair app.
● If no such arrangement can be made on the same day on the same route, you can change your travel dates if your schedule permits.
● If that’s not possible, you can always ask for a full refund of the entire booking amount of the unused ticket.
● If you have multiple connecting journeys with Finnair and one of your flights gets disrupted, you can claim a full refund for the unused portion of the trip.
Furthermore, the EU regulations allow you to claim compensation for the cancelled flights. You have similar options if your flight gets delayed, except you are entitled to refreshment vouchers for in-terminal food and beverages.
Finnair Flight Cancellation Compensation
As per EU regulations (EU261, 2004), you can claim and receive compensation if your Finnair flight is delayed or cancelled. The amounts are fixed at €250, €400 and €600 depending on the length of the booked journey. The compensation clause applies to all flights to and from Europe. The amounts are the same for all passengers. And the good part is that passengers from even non-EU countries can claim this compensation. Usually, it takes between 2 to 3 months for the compensation claim to be settled.
How to Claim Compensation for Flight Delays or Cancellations?
The EU regulations guide compensation claims for delayed or cancelled flights with Finnair (EU261, Art 7). And Finnair Airlines follows the latest ECAC guidelines of 2004. As per the rules, you can claim compensation by contacting Finnair customer care first and then filling out the online compensation claim forms and submitting them.
How do you get a Refund if a Finnair flight international is delayed or cancelled?
Steps to get refund for delay or cancellation Finnair flights:
As per the Finnair Delayed and Cancelled Flights Policy, you can receive a full refund for the unused ticket if your flight gets delayed or cancelled. The rule is the same for domestic and international flights. Here are the steps to get a refund for the delay or cancellation of a Finnair flight.
1. Refund for Cancelled Finnair Flights
Finnair allows you to claim full refunds of the amounts of your unused ticket if your flight gets cancelled due to no fault of yours. The following steps must be followed in such cases depending on the below-mentioned case scenarios.
● If you had a one-way journey booked with Finnair and your flight was cancelled abruptly, you can claim a full refund by filling out the online claim refund form from the “Manage Booking” section of the official website. If you had multiple bookings and no longer want to use the other legs of the journey once Finnair cancelled one of your tickets, the process for claiming a refund remains the same. Fill out the form from the “Manage Booking” section of the official website.
● If you want a full refund for your cancelled flight and want to use the rest of the tickets for your journey, you have to contact customer service through online chat and then follow their instructions to claim the refund.
2. Refund for Delayed Finnair Flights
For other disruptions like a delay of Finnair flights by more than 5 hours, you have to follow the steps below.
● You have to cancel the booking first through the “Manage Booking” section of the official website. You can also use the online chat service for flight cancellation.
● You have to apply for an online refund once your flight is cancelled.
Ques. What happens if Finnair cancels my flight?
Ans. You can wait to rebook another available flight on the same day, or you can claim a full refund per the Finnair Delayed and Cancelled Flights Policy rules.
Ques. Can I get a refund from Finnair if my flight is delayed or cancelled?
Ans. Yes, you can. You can receive a full refund of your unused Finnair ticket if your flight is significantly delayed or cancelled.
Ques. Am I eligible for compensation if I am rebooked after cancellation?
Ans. No. Once Finnair rebooks you on its next available flight and you don’t submit your compensation claim by then, your right to claim compensation ceases to exist.
Ques. Can I claim compensation if my Finnair flight is delayed or cancelled due to extreme weather conditions?
Ans. No, you can’t. The EU regulations clarify that Finnair cannot compensate you if the flight is delayed or cancelled due to conditions beyond its direct control, like natural calamity, extreme weather, political violence, or unrest. Compensations can be claimed for mechanical faults, staff shortages or other internal issues that Finnair can control.
Ques. How long does it take to get a full refund from Finnair after flight disruptions?
Ans. Refund is issued within 7 business days if a credit card was the original payment mode used. The wait time could be extended to 20 days for other payment modes.