Finnair Unaccompanied Minor Policy
Finnair Unaccompanied Minor Policy is one of the world’s oldest and most respected operating airlines. Established in 1923, the airline went through several challenges in its 100-year-old history, including surviving two world wars, a civil war, and numerous economic ups and downs. But every time, it returned stronger due to its efficient management and up-to-date customer-centric policies. No wonder the airline flies to over 80 destinations worldwide with its strong fleet of over 70 aircraft, mostly modern Airbuses. The airline fulfills its environmental obligations by incorporating the newest aircraft in its modern fleet. It is committed to maximum passenger safety and comfort with the latest security features and superior amenities. Among the many customer-focused policies the airline has, a few deserve special mention. And the Finnair Unaccompanied Minor policy is certainly one of those.
Why is the Unaccompanied Minor Policy Required?
In this world of nuclear families and busy work schedules, parents are often forced to stay away from children. Most of the time, it’s not possible for family members to accompany a child when he is visiting his parents living in another city or country. That’s where the requirement for an unaccompanied minor policy comes in. This policy allows airlines to assist children as young as 5 years old to travel alone and reach their destinations safely. Such a policy ensures a child’s safety and security and provides him with a wonderful air travel experience. Now, each airline has its own set of rules and guidelines to woo parents of young travelers. Likewise, Finnair has an Unaccompanied Minor Policy to guide parents on the safety of the traveling child. Want to know what is the policy for Finnair unaccompanied minors? Here’s the policy explained in detail.
The Finnair Unaccompanied Minor Policy Rules and Guidelines
Finnair Policy For Children Traveling Alone Mentions the following rules and terms for parents of young travelers. While some rules may be strict, the instructions are simple for clear understanding.
● According to the Finnair Unaccompanied Minor Policy, the unaccompanied minor service is available to children between 5 and 11 years old. The policy and its guidelines do not apply to children below 5 years of age. As per the rule, the airline doesn’t require children of 12 years or more to adhere to its guidelines.
● Finnair provides the unaccompanied minor service on all flights marketed and operated by Finnair and its One-Star Alliance partners. Children can be booked for this service if they have connecting flights on the same day or both operated by Finnair.
● The unaccompanied minor service is only available to children whose travels originate or end at Helsinki Airport. Additionally, the policy strictly mentions the service time between 5.30 a.m. and 12 a.m. The service is unavailable for flights departing from and arriving at airports in other countries.
● The Finnair Unaccompanied Minor Policy allows children between 5 and 11 years old to travel without booking this service only in the following two cases,
(a) The child is accompanied by a companion who is at least 16 years old and has the consent of the child’s legal parents or guardian. Or the child is accompanied by a family member who is at least 12 years old and has the guardian’s consent. However, it applies to all flights operated within Finland.
(b) For International flights, the policy requires the companion and family member’s age to be 18 and 16 years, respectively.
● Children need to carry specific travel documents mentioned on Finnair’s official website.
● As per the Finnair Unaccompanied Minor Policy, children flying with unaccompanied minor services can carry baggage per the standard baggage norms associated with their booked tickets.
● To purchase the unaccompanied minor service from Finnair, the person buying the ticket for the child and the guardian receiving him at arrival must be adults. Both of them must provide their complete contact details when booking this service.
Why the Finnair Flight is the Best For Flying Alone
The unaccompanied minor service is a complete end-to-end traveling assistance Finnair provides for children aged between 5 and 11 years. The general guidelines and the set of instructions ensure the child’s safety and make his entire air travel experience smooth and hassle-free. From checking in to receiving by the legal guardian, Finnair assists the child at every step to make the trip memorable for him. The airline staff care for the child as their own, guaranteeing his parents his safety and peace of mind. These are why a Finnair flight is the best for flying alone.
What Documents Required to Booking Finnair Unaccompanied Minors Flight
To book Finnair’s unaccompanied minor service, you must provide your as well as the guardian’s (who’s going to receive the child at arrival) full contact information including name, phone number and postal address at the time of booking. Additionally, the child flying alone must carry specific travel documents mentioned on the official website of Finnair.
How Much is the Fee For Booking Finnair Unaccompanied Minor Service?
As a parent, if you book the unaccompanied minor service under the Finnair Unaccompanied Minor Policy, you must pay the full adult fare for your child. On top of that, you must pay a service fee for his continuous guidance and protection till he’s received at the airport. The Finnair unaccompanied minor fee structure is as follows.
● The Finnair unaccompanied minor service fee is €40 for each leg of the journey for travel within Finland.
● The Finnair unaccompanied minor service fee is €60 for flights operated within Europe.
● The Finnair unaccompanied minor service fee is €120 for long-haul international flights.
The Services Offered by Finnair For Unaccompanied Minors
From departure till arrival, Finnair offers a lot of on-ground and in-flight services to ensure the travel is exciting for the unaccompanied child. All services are categorized into four main segments depending on the stage of the child’s journey. The services of Finnair Unaccompanied Minors are as follows.
At the Departing Airport
● Hassle-free check-in: Finnair operates special check-in desks at each airport for special customers, including children booked under the unaccompanied minor policy. As a parent, you must fill out 3 to 4 copies of the unaccompanied minor handling advice form at the check-in desk. You can do this in advance to avoid the hassle on the day of travel.
● Securing documents: Finnair ground staff provide the child a neck pouch where important documents like passports, visas, boarding passes, and UM handling forms can be stored securely and carried throughout the journey.
● Approaching the departure gate: As a parent, you can accompany your child to the gate. You have to present your passport as proof of identification when required. If a guardian or a legal parent assists your child, they must also produce their identification documents. The ground crew would assist your child during this whole process.
● Boarding: Finnair offers priority boarding to unaccompanied minors so that they can enter the flights first. The child is further assisted by an in-flight crew to settle on his seat comfortably.
● Assistance in flight disruptions: In case of a flight disruption or cancellation, the child remains under the direct supervision of the airline crew. He will be duly guided to the next step. As parents, you’ll receive flight information and updates occasionally in such a scenario.
Onboard the Flight
● Providing constant care: As per the Finnair Unaccompanied Minor Policy, the unaccompanied child receives non-stop care from the cabin crew during the journey. Finnair makes sure that your child is always comfortable and safe.
● Serving Food: Finnair serves its famous blueberry juice and water free of cost to passengers on all its flights. For flights longer than 2 hours, passengers are offered a free snack. Regarding international flights, you can also book a full meal for your child on a prepayment basis. Not only that, Finnair also allows unaccompanied minors to bring their food from home.
● Onboard entertainment: Finnair has a huge collection of movies, TV series, games, and music shows meant for children. Your child gets to enjoy all of these during long-haul flights.
Taking Care At the Connecting Airport
A child for whom unaccompanied minor service has been booked is always under Finnair staff’s direct care and supervision. They care for your child even when waiting at the connecting airport for his next flight.
Handing Him Over to His Legal Guardian or Parent
Finnair ensures a ground crew with your child to assist him at each stage of his arrival or immigration process. His job is to guide your child during immigration and baggage claims and hand him over to you or his legal guardian, who has come to receive him at the airport. The cabin crew diligently checks the identification proof of the receiving parent or legal guardian and verifies it before saying goodbye to the child.
What Information is Needed to Book a Flight for a Minor?
As per the Finnair Unaccompanied Minor Policy, you must provide your name, contact number, and complete address to book a flight for a minor and purchase the unaccompanied minor service. If you’re his legal guardian, you will need to provide documents in support of the same. Also, complete personal information must be submitted for the person who will receive your child at the destination airport at the time of booking.
Finnair Airlines Is The Best for Flying Alone
Finnair Airlines provides the best child support and care for minors for whom the unaccompanied minor service has been booked. From checking in to receiving him at the destination airport, the ground and onboard crew collectively ensure that the child is always under strict supervision, ensuring his safety and protection. Although this unaccompanied minor service is available only for children between 5 and 11 years, children above this age can also travel alone on Finnair. Children between 12 and 17 years don’t require any accompanying adult or a consent letter from a guardian for lonely travels. This complements Finnair’s security standards and highlights the airline’s ability to ensure the safety of minors traveling alone with or without the unaccompanied minor service. Looking at its flawless track record, you can easily say that Finnair Airlines is the best for flying alone.
Can An Unaccompanied Minor Fly Internationally? Finnair
The answer is yes. An unaccompanied minor for whom the unaccompanied minor service has been purchased can fly to international destinations. But there is a condition. The journey must either originate or end at the Helsinki Airport. Even if the unaccompanied minor service has not been booked for a child, he can travel to international destinations provided an adult member accompanies him with a consent letter from the legal guardian or parent. He is also allowed to fly internationally as per the Finnair Unaccompanied Minor Policy if he is accompanied by a family member at least 16 years old.